Monday 19 March 2012

“It’s nerdy to be obsessed with things, but I would rather be like that, than be disinterested"


I liked this a lot. 

When I was seventeen, a friend told me I was obsessive. Of course I was (am) obsessive, but I'd never pin-pointed it, never thought it was strange or out of the ordinary. From bands to people to places to anything, my obsessions know no bounds. For a moment, it made me uncomfortable; self-conscious at the implications of such an accusation.


But I have come to realize:
Those who collect things are not all hoarders. 
Those with fan-girl crushes are not all ditzes, nor all stalkers. 
Those with obsessions are not unsound.
Obsession is not inherently unhealthy. 

I equate obsession with passion, though they are not synonymous. I equate passion with Philippe Petit, who said of the inevitable risks of his life calling, "if I die, what a beautiful death... to die in the exercise of your passion"


A beautiful man, a beautiful sentiment. Now, I'm the first to acknowledge my obsessions. I love to love things and people and bands and places and books and movies and blogs. I hope, one day, that I will experience obsession grow into a passion as profound and driving as Philippe's. We do, as it happens, share a birthday.


So, I agree with Tavi. Love what you love and be interested in your interests. That's what I'm saying.




Dev. 

No comments:

Post a Comment