Saturday 10 December 2011

Nostalgia

The Tales of Things is seriously cool, especially since I often wonder who might've owned the majority of my wardrobe before I stumbled across it at a thrift store. At the same time though, I wonder if knowing might ruin some of the magic. I think part of the fun of thrift shopping is trying to imagine the quirky characters who once owned everything on the crowded racks.

Today whiles scrolling through my seemingly endless iTunes, I stumbled across a song by The Knack called "My Sharona." I hadn't heard the song in a very long time, but tons of memories came flooding back with it. Looking back, it seems like The Knack was my childhood soundtrack. I remember some of the songs playing a lot throughout my childhood and there's even a home video of me learning to walk to the song.

That got me thinking about what my childhood soundtrack would involve. My mom and I listened to the radio a lot in the car, but as we only had AM, our selection was limited. The only channel worth listening to was this grainy oldies station. As a result of this I grew up knowing all of the lyrics to a lot of strange songs from 60's and 70's. Of course I now know all of the 90's classics from my childhood, but at the time I didn't know too many, and got my annual education of popular music at summer camp each year.

Here's a mix of some stand out songs I remember listening to as a kid:
 1. My Sharona - The Knack                     
 2. I'm a Believer - The Monkees
 3. You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon
 4. The Sign - Ace of Base
 5. Should I Stay or Should I Go - The Clash
 6. Wild Thing - The Troggs
 7. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet  - Bachman Turner Overdrive
 8. One Week - The Barenaked Ladies                                                    

Give it a listen here. -Bets
P.S This is what I looked like as I rocked out to some of these songs..

No comments:

Post a Comment