Saturday 10 December 2011

Bets, I remember when you bought that dolphin dress! You texted me a picture of it from the VV change room. I was all "uhhhh" but you bought it anyway. Don't those kinds of finds make you wonder who owned them before? Crazy thrift finds always make we wonder that. Especially the outlandish homemade ones. 

Years ago, before the hipstappropriation (see what I did there? L'il portmanteau up in hurrr) of second hand shopping, I remember friends being all "ewwww, but somebody could have DIED wearing that dress!" *shudders in head to toe American Eagle*

Come to think of it, David and Nate Fisher never did mention what they did with the clothes people died in. I'm going to go ahead and assume they're not making their way back onto the market. But, pooh-poohing high school friends, you have a point! ANYTHING could have happened to the previous owner while wearing this dress. Maybe she wore it on a fabulous holiday to Europe following her college graduation. Maybe she bought it for her sister's wedding, but never wore it because her sister broke off the engagement. Maybe it was made for her by a relative they loved. Maybe it was made for her by a relative they hated.  Maybe it was her $500 Enid dress. 

Wouldn't it be great to know? Now you can! Well, with some things. The project is Tales of Things, and they use QR codes to pretty much tell you exactly the kinds of things I wonder. 

Check it out in action in an Oxfam charity shop. Neato! Let's get this in every VV, I say. Only then I'd REALLY never leave that place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment